These are the essential movies in my 40-something white guy world. I will watch these movies, at least for a few minutes, every time they’re on.
- The Godfather I & II. “Michael Rizzi, do you renounce Satan?” Of course.
- The Matrix. “You hear that, Mr Anderson? It is the sound of inevitability. It is the sound of your death.” That was a great movie. I wonder why they didn’t make any sequels?
- Pulp Fiction. “If I am curt with you it is because time is of the essence.” And: “If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.” Samuel L Jackson has enough great lines in that single movie to make an entire career. “I’m tryin’, Ringo; I’m trying’ REAL HARD to be the shepherd.”
- Gladiator. Maximus’s line when he reveals himself to Commodius: “… Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife – and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.”
- Animal House. “Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life.”
- The Princess Bride. “My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” And: “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”